STRUCTURE OF THE PROCESS
At the start of a Team Mediationsm, the Husband and Wife agree to work with attorneys who are committed to this process. Each party can choose either to select a lawyer from the Center’s Team Mediationsm panel, or to propose Team Mediationsm to their own lawyer, who must agree to follow the Team Mediationsm Principles (discussed below).
As mediation proceeds, each party, with his or her own attorney, decides the need and extent of their attorney’s involvement. Your attorney is part of the process from the beginning to insure that your rights are protected. Attorney involvement may follow any of several models. For example, each party may choose to have their attorney:
- 1. Be present during every session.
- 2. Be present at the first session, and thereafter decide which sessions their attorney will attend.
- 3. Not attend the first session, and thereafter assess the need to attend any particular session(s).
- 4. Never attend sessions, but be available for phone consultation during or after sessions.
- 5. Never attend sessions, but advise the client as requested during the course of mediation.
Each party must tell the other party in advance whether his or her attorney will be attending the next session.
Couples starting in “traditional” mediation may switch mid-process to Team Mediationsm.